2022 SOIL Art Contest
2022 SOIL Art Contest:
How can a garden help you grow?
Gardens have inspired artists for centuries. Now it’s time for students to inspire the community with their creativity.
We’re inviting all Durango School District 9-R students to submit a piece of artwork for the first annual SOIL Art Contest. Finalists from each grade will receive fun prizes and have weatherproof prints of their work displayed at the new SOIL learning lab along the fenceline for all to see.
Students, families, and community members are invited to participate in real-time judging of the finalists via cell phones at the SOIL Art Awards event on Nov. 15 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at Riverview Elementary School. Three Grand Prize winners will receive gift cards to local restaurants.
What is SOIL?
It’s a new outdoor learning lab. The project will be built in phases and will include: a community and school garden; demonstration gardens and an event space; a growing dome; food forest and farm lab; and SOIL Learning Center. The project is rooted in community engagement, educational and economic opportunity, multigenerational collaboration, cultural and ecological stewardship, and healthy living practices.
Who can participate in the contest?
We invite all students in all K-12 grades to submit artwork. Families can support their children’s creativity, but allow students to design and submit their own unique work.
How do students submit their work?
- The deadline to submit artwork is Wednesday, Nov. 2.
- Begin by thinking about the question: How can a garden help you grow?
- Create a painting, drawing, photo, or mixed media piece that answers the question.
- Images can be vertical or horizontal. (Winning art will be displayed at 11x17” size.)
- Take a photo or scan the finished work and submit it by clicking the "Add Photo" button below.
- Remember to send the image as “actual size” or high-resolution JPG or PDF file.
- Include the artist’s name, grade and school with the digital upload.
What happens next?
- A SOIL art committee will decide on finalists from each K-12 grade level.
- Students, families, staff, and community members are invited to the SOIL Art Awards on Nov. 15 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at Riverview Elementary School.
- The finalists’ art will be displayed in a gallery stroll along the project’s fence line (or inside the school if it’s raining or snowing).
- Attendees will be able to vote for their favorite works of art, and prizes will be awarded.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Reach out to SOIL volunteer Adrienne Murphy: firstname.lastname@example.org
All-new Kindle (2022 release)
Apple AirPods Pro 2
JBL Tune 510BT
SAMSUNG Galaxy A53
Wyze Cam v3 Security Camera
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
SAMSUNG Galaxy S22
Apple Watch Series 4
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Blink Video Doorbell
Amazon Fire TV 43" 4-Series 4K
Anker Soundcore Life Q20
Apple Watch Series 5
Fire HD 10 inch Kids tablet
TCL 32-inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV
Echo Show 10
Ulefone Power Armor 13 8GB