2023 SOIL Art Contest
2023 SOIL Art Contest:
How can gardens change the world?
Gardens have inspired artists for centuries. Now it’s time for students and community members to inspire their neighbors with their creativity.
We’re inviting all Durango School District 9-R students and community members to submit a piece of artwork for the second annual SOIL Art Contest. Finalists will receive fun prizes and have weatherproof prints of their work displayed at the SOIL Outdoor Learning Lab.
Students, families, and community members are invited to participate in real-time judging of the finalists via cell phones at the SOIL Gallery Walk event on Wednesday, October 18th from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at Riverview Elementary School. Three Grand Prize winners will receive gift cards to local restaurants, Zia or Sage. All finalists will receive a gift card to Cream Bean Berry.
What is SOIL?
It’s a new outdoor learning lab. In Spring 2023, the first phase of the SOIL project, the Community Garden, opened to the public for garden bed rental, planting, and programs, while also delivering educational opportunities for the students of the Durango School District 9R. The project is now seeking donations to build a growing dome; food forest and farm lab; and SOIL Learning Center. The project is rooted in community engagement, educational and economic opportunity, multigenerational collaboration, cultural and ecological stewardship, and healthy living practices.
Who can participate in the contest?
We invite all students AND community members in the Durango School District 9R.
How do artists submit their work?
- The deadline to submit artwork is Friday, September 29th
- Begin by thinking about the question: How can a garden help change the world?
- Create a painting, drawing, photo, or mixed media piece that answers the question.
- Images can be vertical or horizontal. (Winning art will be displayed at 11x17” size.)
- Take a photo or scan the finished work and submit it by clicking the "Add Photo" button below.
- Remember to send the image as “actual size” or high-resolution JPG or PDF file.
- Include the artist’s name, grade & school (if applicable), and contact information with the digital upload.
What happens next?
- A SOIL art committee will decide on finalists.
- Students, families, staff, and community members are invited to the SOIL Gallery Walk on Oct. 18th from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at Riverview Elementary School.
- The finalists’ art will be displayed in a gallery stroll in/around the garden.
- Attendees will be able to vote for their favorite works of art, and prizes will be awarded.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Reach out to SOIL Garden Manager, Allison Riederer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You have not added a photo yet